Software Engineer, Data Platform
Engineering / Palo Alto, CA, United States
Compartir oportunidad de empleo:
Flipboard gives people a single place to stay informed and get inspired to pursue their passions. With more than 100 million readers every month, Flipboard is used by people around the world to read leading publications, blogs and industry news and collect stories, images, and videos into their own Flipboard Magazines.
Every single one of our users generate data that we use to monitor, inform, and build our products. Reliable data collection, at exceptional scale, is central to everything we do. We are a gathering of creative minds, and solving big, unique engineering problems – here you will immerse yourself in a world where algorithm meets art.
As a software engineer on the data platform, you will be responsible for designing and implementing software solutions for various business stakeholder needs. You will collaborate with Flipboard engineering teams in Palo Alto, Vancouver, and Seattle, which are responsible for the core service, machine learning and clients apps. This is a great opportunity to contribute and grow as you build a platform that helps Flipboard realize its mission of informing and inspiring the world.
- Develop end to end solutions handling large quantities of data
- Process, organize, and store high-volume data streams using open source parallel distributed algorithms and software frameworks including Spark, Hadoop MapReduce, HBase, ElasticSearch, Storm, Kafka and Hive data warehousing tools
- Process billions of daily usage events and activity events for analytic use
- Design and implement software solutions based on requirements from data analytics and solutions stakeholders
- Provide ongoing support for features throughout the product life cycle
- Ensure efficiency, quality and usability of a high-profile client-facing system
- 4+ years of programming experience
- 3+ years data engineering experience
- Solid skills developing server software in Java, Go, Python, C++ or similar languages
- Excellent Linux / UNIX shell scripting knowledge
- Experience with or strong desire to learn about large scale, data-intensive applications, API and protocol design, and distributed systems
- BS degree in Computer Science or related field
- Strong communication skills and the desire to have fun building great software!
Benefits & Perks
- Our benefits include vision, dental, life, and health insurance, plus 401K with a company match
- Flexible hours and generous ‘out of office time’ for holidays, vacations, sick leave, relaxation & wellness, personal and family needs
- Subsidized commuter programs
- Team celebrations: company anniversaries, birthdays, Thanksgiving, weddings/babies –– you name it, we celebrate it!
Why Join Flipboard?
- Our vision: At a time when society could really benefit from being more informed and inspired, we are enabling great stories to reach the right communities around the world.
- Our team: Led by experienced entrepreneur CEO Mike McCue, and President/COO Kal Amin, we are a highly diverse team of bright, capable people who work collaboratively with strong purpose and vision. We are positive, respectful and we value self improvement. We want an environment and culture where a variety of voices and perspectives are both encouraged and heard. Our belief is that employees from various backgrounds and experiences can help us fulfill our mission of truly “Inspiring and Informing” the world. We believe that leveraging this diversity will lead us to create better products and services for all of our key constituents on the platform.
- Our value: We are fully funded and making steady, meaningful progress on a premium, high margin business within a $600B, highly strategic market. Our business model is tightly aligned with our values, our partners and our user experience which makes our company both valuable and unique.
- Our product: Millions of people truly love Flipboard and rely on it regularly. Flipboard is a standard bearer for great mobile design, innovation, and we deeply value craftsmanship.
- Our platform: Our platform selects the best content from millions of sources around the world, organizes it into highly personalized feeds, and presents it for further curation by the community. We are driven by hard technical challenges and we value pioneering new technology to continually increase the power, efficiency and scale of our platform.